Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My future house location criteria

I still remember when my agent first asked me where is my home target location when I just started searching for a house to buy a couple months ago. My answer was anywhere as long as it is within my price range of 750K to 950K. At that time, I thought as a single person I shouldn’t have to worry about school district. All of my worries were the price and the quality of the house. But after a lot of times spent on searching/researching and visiting open houses, I finally realized that buying house is not just buying a roof over my head to stay instead it is one of the most important investment in my life. House price and quality should not be my only concern.

Below are the main criteria that determined my house searching locations:
(1) Good school district. Good school district and good neighborhood almost always by default go hand in hand. To me, high school will have higher weight than middle and elementary school.
(2) Within 30 minutes of driving distance to my work (Santa Clara). I would like to enjoy my life with less time driving on the road.

After determined my search criteria, I narrowed down to the few areas below:
(1) Cupertino 95014
- One of the top school district in bay area.
- Houses in this area are either in the high side or over my price target range.
(2) South Sunnyvale 94087
- Preferable in area that goes to Homestead High School.
(3) West San Jose 95129 with Cupertino school district
(4) Santa Clara 95051 with Cupertino school district

There are a few other areas that are good however they are either out of my price range or are too far away from my work such as Los Altos, Saratoga, Fremont Mission, Palo Alto.

No comments: